At Urgent Couriers we live and breathe sustainability and have done so since the late 1990s. We use the environmental, social and economic pillars of sustainability to guide our business decisions to ensure we don’t compromise the success of future generations with our actions today.
We are New Zealand’s first carbon neutral courier service ...
Our main impact is the emissions from our vehicle fleet. We accept this responsibility and were the first transport company in New Zealand to become carbon neutral.
How can a courier company be carbon neutral?
You may be wondering how a company whose operations involve burning fossil fuels can possibly claim to be carbon neutral.
- Reducing our carbon footprint as much as possible by:
Measuring its emissions and having them audited by an independent auditor.
Purchasing carbon credits to offset all remaining unavoidable emissions.
2015 carboNZero Certificate
- Ensuring our contractors use low emission vehicles - now over 75% of the fleet
- Using smart GPS technology to improve fleet efficiency Developing and implementing an emissions reduction plan
- Using cycle couriers as much as possible.
We partner with the community ...
At Urgent Couriers we believe the best way a business can provide community support is by utilising our expertise rather than writing a cheque. To this end we support a number of worthwhile community organisations with a special not-for-profit (NFP) rate for courier deliveries. To find out who we support or to apply for the NFP rate click here to go to our community support page
Auckland City Mission
Urgent Couriers has chosen the Auckland City Mission as the primary organisation that it supports in the local community. We support the mission in the following ways:
- Logistics support - picking up and delivering goods gifted to the Auckland City Mission free of charge
- Fundraising using our Mobile Advert cars
- Encouraging our customers to donate to the Mission’s appeals.
We pay our couriers a living wage ...
By taking a responsible approach to pricing, Urgent Couriers ensures the company's financial profitability and the economic viability of its couriers. A guiding principle of Urgent Couriers' since inception is to ensure its couriers are viable business people in their own right.
We are committed to providing our clients with the most consistent, reliable service as part of an overall value plan. Only by rewarding our couriers fairly can we ensure they perform.
We lead by example ...
- We incorporated sustainable development measures into our staff’s individual performance criteria.
- Steve Bonnici, Managing Director, takes an active role in promoting sustainable business in New Zealand through his role on the executive committee of the New Zealand Business Council for Sustainable Development and as a national board member of the Sustainable Business Network.
- We have a broad range of services with a range of slower speeds increasing our couriers’ capacity to carry more deliveries per kilometer and hence make more money.
- We report publicly on our performance through our sustainability reports.